November 05, 2017

The Annual "Explosion of Christmas" 2017!

Christmas has arrived!

As you all know, I suffer through Halloween (I have been trying to be better about liking it) because that is Lady Hiva's favorite holiday, but once it becomes 1 NOV Christmas starts! Lady Hiva calls it my Explosion of Christmas!

This year Lady Hiva had put away all of the Halloween while I was at work and Lucky Dragon was SO excited for me to come home from work so we could decorate the tree. So out comes all of the bins of Christmas decor...well not ALL the bins, there are so many we don't use them all. YIKES. We had so much fun decorating. He was a machine. If we stopped to talk or discuss, he would get us back on track. He would animate to us why he chose the perfect place for each ornament--the most popular reason was that two ornaments were "friends so they needed to be close to each other."





Dresden, Germany






 The following few photos are Lucky Dragon exploring his photography skills:





The chaos before it looks better!







This year's tree's theme was silver, red and black




The next day tree #2 and #3 went up too! It was fun to go through all of our creche collections. We have them from all over the world. It is fun to have them out to celebrate.
Tree #2 was last year's tree...red, lime green and white





Tree #3 in Lucky Dragon's bedroom. Decorated by himself


The Creche in his room






Munich, Germany

Sophia, Bulgaria

United States of America




Rome, Italy


United Kingdom







Berlin, Germany


Tree Creche from Dresden, Germany. Dark wood Creche from Manila, Philippines


Barnwood box made from wood from my childhood farm

Tapa cloth Creche from Laie, Hawaii

Munich, Germany

Chartrain, France

Olive wood Creche from Athens, Greece

Iznik tile Creche, Istanbul, Turkey








Once we had the inside done, we decided to put up the lights on the outside. This was an interesting experience considering we now have a REALLY tall house with a steep roof! Chiding myself for not following through and buying that long ladder, I borrowed one from a neighbor. With two short ladders--one to the first level of roof and the other to the next level, I climbed up. As I stood up and was treated to a magnificent view of Utah Lake shining in the moonlight, I realized that I was doing my own version of" Don't try this at home!" haha. We made some garlands and spread the lights around to celebrate the season. It made us excited.








Lucky Dragon being the photographer again! hahah







Many people ask why I like to do this so early, or they ask why I am "forgetting" Thanksgiving. Usually I answer with some kind of joke. But in all seriousness I do love the Christmas season. I like the way the focus is on words like, joy, peace, love, family, service and, of course, our Savior Jesus Christ. I am sure that Christmas is stressful to some because of the commercial aspect of it, but for me that part of Christmas is only secondary. What a better way to live then to focus of loving and serving others. That is something I definitely need to remember and this season helps me do that.

So...I did not skip Thanksgiving, we just eat around the tree and lights of Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment