September 15, 2016

A Visit to the State Fair

A tradition in the United States is to have a county then state fair during the late summer and early autumn time of the year. This year we decided that we would go check out the Utah State Fair. Of course Lady Hiva was in her wheelchair (graciously, even though she does not like not being in control) and Lucky Dragon rides on her lap.

Our first stop were the rides at the carnival that was the center of the fairgrounds. Now, when we were younger we were not allowed to ride these rides--forbidden by Madre for safety reasons. There was one time that I was with a friend and his mom let us ride...I distinctly remember my friend and I wedging our skinny selves against the side of a cart trying not to fly out when the seat bar was not secure enough for us to stay in. I knew then that I would never ride another carnival ride.

Until a little Lucky Dragon comes along...that is.

But Tau'aho was excited to ride. So against all just judgement we bought tickets and he and I rode rides while I put Lady Hiva in the shade to watch. At least one of the family was safe after all. We rode the Ferris wheel and several other rides together. At first he rode a few kid rides by himself and loved every moment of it! Our little adrenaline junky. I was wedged between walls of kid rides with my knees up to my chin and wincing with every jerk! haha Unlike normal when I am loving the joy of the thrill, I was instead counting down the moment until we were done and I could stretch again!

Riding the Ferris Wheel

 We went to see the circus that we put on too. There were some amazing feats that the performers did. The only animals were some well trained dogs but the tightrope walkers and clowns were fun to watch. We even had front row seating because they were the only seats available with wheelchair access.
















In the end we visited the craft exhibits and the animals--saw some of the largest sheep I have every seen! It was fun to see the FFA exhibit that allowed the children to pick apples and learn how our food makes it from the farm to our tables. He picked apples, planted seeds, fed the pigs and milked the cow.




So we have continued the tradition and been to the fair! It was fun and we made it safely too.

Learning how bees make honey





Learning where sunflower seeds come from (something he loves)





No comments:

Post a Comment